We are currently accepting submissions for the following positions.
The Human Race Theatre Company, recognized nationally for its innovative programming and new work development, seeks to fill the position of Technical Director (TD). With a focus on great storytelling and producing shows that revel in our humanity, The Human Race has been the region’s premier professional theatre for 33 years. The TD works closely with and reports to the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director to oversee all technical elements of a 5-6 show season, as well as special projects. This is a hands-on position that requires advanced knowledge in theatrical construction and rigging. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in technical theatre and at least two years of Technical Direction experience, or the equivalent. This individual will ensure that all technical elements are in place and functioning for each production.
The Human Race is an energetic, fast paced, and creative environment. Qualities and qualifications of a successful candidate:
- Degree in Technical Direction, a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Proven ability as a carpenter, draftsman, welder and theatre technician with experience in rigging and utilizing standard mechanical devices (electric winches, turntables, pneumatic cylinders, etc.) is required
- General knowledge of theatrical audio, lighting and projections systems
- Demonstrated experience with complex project management including deadline management and ability to work effectively and calmly within timelines (short and long-term)
- Effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work well both independently and with others
- Pride in maintaining a clean and safe workspace
- Thrives on creative problem-solving and collaboration with artists
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds & possess a valid driver’s license
- Evening and weekend availability required due to varying schedule
- Act as liaison with Scenic, Lighting and Sound Designers and determine with the Artistic Director, the technical and budgetary feasibility of scene, prop and lighting designs.
- Supply technical information and budget estimate for each design.
- Determine construction methods, schedules, materials and mechanics for the building and painting of each set
- Recommend and work with designers to adjust the design, if necessary, due to budgetary concerns
- Supervise and assist in the construction of the set
- Assist in the painting of the set
- Produce construction drawings as needed
- Supervise the installation and striking of each set, including all rigging and mechanical devices. Insure proper functioning and safety of all moving scenic elements
- Maintain and enforce schedules for all builds, load-ins and strikes
- Operate, maintain and safeguard all the technical aspects of the theatre and shop, including shop tools.
- Attend technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show
- In the absence of a master electrician, coordinate with the lighting designer on all electrical needs for the show having to do with scenery.
- Assist as necessary when any other organization is present in the Loft Theatre
- Be on call during all performances in case of technical emergencies
- Inventory and order all supplies needed in scene shop
- Work with Stage Manager to make sure all drawings are supplied and explained
- Track and approve all scenic receipts for expenditures for shows and supplies
- Read and analyze scripts for future possible shows
- Attend weekly staff meetings, Production Meetings, Meet & Greets, Opening Nights and staff functions
- Hire and supervise any over-hire labor needed for production
- Serve as contact person for groups wanting to rent or purchase scenery
- Maintain relationships with community partners, including exchange of goods and services
- Monitor Performance Reports and address any technical issues before next performance
- Educate and instruct stage management, run crew and actors to use specialized scenic elements
- Move and set up offsite shop, as needed, for construction
- Other duties as assigned
The Technical Director position is full time, exempt; salary range $40,000-45,000 annually, plus a benefits package including partial paid health & dental insurance, flexible schedule, parking and paid vacation.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references (3-4) to: email@example.com Please put “TD Position – Candidate Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Human Race prides itself on fully representing and reflecting the community on stage and in our workforce – candidates of color and diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.